Post by smartypants1138 on Nov 19, 2013 2:25:01 GMT
Disclaimer – I work for Microsoft and the following post details a project I did at home with a Blynclight. This is not a professional endorsement.
I was looking for a way to create a Lync presence indicator that could sit outside my office. This would allow me to work at home and have my family know when I’m free or busy.
I purchased a Blynclight and planned to build a shelf outside my office to hold it. This would allow my family to see if I’m free or busy by taking note of a big green or red light. Also, my PC sits in a place where I knew I could run a 15 foot USB cable through the wall outside my office and reach the PC.
When I received my Blynclight I noticed that I could remove the cap. When I did that, saw that I could reduce the size my Blynclight enough to mount the top of it to the inside of a picture frame. This also meant that I could only show the light when at work, otherwise it just looks like a picture frame. This is how it turned out:
Here are the steps I took:
I used these supplies:
- USB cable to connect the picture frame Blynclight to your PC
- Sugru (hot glue gun might work too). I used Sugru because it allows for easy removal from plastic.
- Picture frame with white mat – mine is about 1.5 inches thick
- Scrap wood to build a mount
Reduce the material in the picture frame mat to let the Blynclight’s light show through:
- Carefully use an Xacto knife to cut a square about the same dimensions as a Blynclight and dig out some material to create an opaque section of the mat.
- I noticed that after I removed the initial bit of material, that my mat wasn’t opaque enough, I then used a Dremel sanding bit to reduce the material a bit more.
Remove the cap from Blynclight
Build a small mount for mounting the Blynclight - this approach prevents light leakage. The picture frame will leak light if too close to the mat without a mount. Mount the Blynclight to the picture frame mat - making sure you mount Blynclight so that you will be able to easily connect the USB cable
Use the Sugru to mount the wood frame to the picture frame mat, and then use Sugru to mount the Blynclight to the wood mount
Let both cure over night and connect your UBS cable to the picture frame and hang it up!
Now everyone tip toes by my office when they see the red light!